Thursday, December 10, 2009

What to do

Today I lost two dollars.

This adventure actually started yesterday, when Sarah and I found ourselves with a broken (so we thought) toilet (gross).

This morning I received a text while mostly asleep, which I ignored, and then read when mostly awake, an hour later. It was from Sarah. It read: (1/2)"So our toilet is still ducked. It drained so I tried to see if it would flush this morning and it almost flooded again. My advice would be if you need t.........(2/2)o use it flush it Asian style with a bucket of water. Ghetto"
Good thing I didn't need to pee. Good thing I was going somewhere (school) where there were an abundance of toilets.

I then phoned and described the situation to my mother who told me to phone Laura (my landlady). Thirty seconds after hanging up she phoned back to ask if I had called her. Through a giant mouthful of Cheerios, I told her no, as I had had no time between the snapping shut of my phone and the picking up of my spoon. Thirty seconds after that, I called and left a message with Laura.

By the end of the day Laura still hadn't called back, and though I had returned home to take a shower, I knew I couldn't stay for long in the now third-world ghettoness of my home. So, off to Starbucks I went, a place I knew would never be un-of-a-toilet, what with the majority of their sales in one form of diuretic or another. Several hours and two large americanos later, I was ready for what I had actually gone there for. I needed to pee.

Off I went, and felt, as one should, decidedly satisfied with the world. As I got up from my cold ceramic seat, I turned around just in time to see a toonie fall out of my pocket and straight into the toilet.

What to do.

Really. What to do.

I considered the glittering coin from three different angles:
1) As a poor student
2) As a girl and;
3) As a person who was already quite familiar with toilet troubles

Though I realized that two dollars wasn't really worth it, I realized that actually, it was. It was gross, probably the grossest thing I would ever have done to date. That left me with three options:
a) Leave the toonie and flush the toilet, with the possibility that a flush+coin might = disaster
b) Leave the toonie and the toilet with no flush, saving the possibility of danger and disgust for another, braver soul or;
c) Get the toonie. (And flush, c'mon people)

Somehow, option c) got the better of me, so I rolled up my sleeve and, with the courage of a Fear Factor contestant, plunged my hand into the toilet. Silently screaming, I kicked the door of the stall open and shot straight for the sink, at which point I turned the tap to burn-me-at-the-stake hot and let the pain disinfect my hand. Two washes with a 10 to 1 soap to water solution later, I had damaged nerve endings and a successfully cleansed hand (make that two).

Somewhat mollified by the fact I had at least gotten my two dollars back, I headed home with my mother, who had graciously agreed to pick me up and have a look at my plumbing, as Laura had finally called with some suggestions.
As I got out of the car, it hit me. Sitting in the sink in the bathroom at Starbucks, were my two dollars.

I don't know what's worse, that I went through that trauma for nothing, or that some stranger is going to pick up two dollars that has been sitting in my urine.

Well, at least my toilet's fixed.

9 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'm so glad I heard this first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    I once dropped my pager in the toilet at work.
    It unclipped itself from my waistband as I was hiking my pants up, and fell into the unflushed pee. Yurk.
    What I thought about doing was squirting some handsoap into the bowl and then running outside to my desk phone and paging myself so the vibration would make a bubblebath in the toilet bowl.(My pager was set to "vibrate", not "beep").
    But, what I actually did was reach in and grab the thing, and wash it and myself, and leave the bathroom as if nothing had happened. The pager still worked despite the pee bath.
    I am sorry about your twoonie.
    Cousin Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I;m collapsed on the floor from reading Kathryn's comment. BUBBLEBATHPEEWATER!!!!!!
    Where DID she come from????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anne, only you, only you.
    Great post, makes me miss you terribly though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came here quite by accident, you seem to sit in my bookmarks bar and I wanted to look why i had put you there.
    Now i know, (again).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, why are you there - must be something to do with Deborah.
    I can't have been that pissed (posh English expression) over the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko, it doesn't take much. She, (fourlitrechocolatemilk)is there because she's Deborah's daughter and has a funny bone unique to herself. I know; I'm related.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it's not weird I read this, I really like your style of writing and came here via Chris' blog. Either way, I can totally relate, who hasn't dropped something into an unflushed toilet at some point? I would have grabbed the toonie too. Maybe even a quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha totally cool Erin! I read yours sometimes too!

    @Friko, yep, I am Deb's daughter. And I think I need to start bringing "pissed" to Canada. I'll look totally international and cool for it.

    @Kath, I have no words. Let me just say that I am amazed and impressed and hope to achieve such a feat in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete